Monday, 23 April 2007

Conclusive proof that I have too much 'spare' time




With the help of a superb and very handy freeware SCRABBLE simulator (Quackle), copies of various word lists used for tournaments (SOWPODS, the Tournament Word List, and Collins Scrabble Words, all of which I extracted as text files from Quackle), some familiarity with regular expressions, and after way too many wasted hours, I discovered it is entirely possible to get a combined score of at least 3690 in a game of SCRABBLE…

Just not bloody likely.

6 comments:

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

When my mind is idle, it invariably turns to perfect scrabble plays. The day I'm able to sling "squeezed" down on two triple word tiles, that day my life will be complete.

Friendless said...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2784/item/41875#item41875

Mrs Mean said...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2784/item/4

It says you can get at least 4000 in one game there and one word is "jackpuddinghood" (15 letters) (what on Earth does that mean) - but I can't access the links to see the series of play/game setup.

Quackle obviously isn't equipped to even deal with these scores - Mean Manor's program broke down when some of our scores were entered, and we didn't even hit 4000.

Did the 4000 guy/girl cause the tsunami?

Mr Mean said...

Friendless, thanks for the link. Ah well, I'm humbled by the high scores reported in the Scrabble FAQ. The highest combined score I have since managed to get is 3940.

Mrs Mean, actually I have no doubt Quackle can deal with games scores of above 4000. I think it crashes when there are too many tiles that needs to be included in scoring a single turn, such as in Dan Stock's highest-scoring single turn shown on the Scrabble FAQ. Quackle is open source software, if I remember correctly, so I might just take a look inside the source code at some point.

Maria said...

The people at The Pixie Pit, Mrs Gordon and Dave Joseph seem to be have just as much "too much time" and a similar track of mind. And extremely passive opponents.

Scary.

ivann said...

Hi,

my name is Ivan Nosál, and my record attempt is over 4000 points. It is in slovak version, on oficial page of Slovak Scrabble Company http://www.hramescrabble.sk/.
You can find it at window "Zo života scrabblistov" (From the life of scrabble players). My actual (on 99 % world) record is 4459 points.