Wednesday, 4 April 2007

The Meaning of Easter

With Easter coming 'round, I contemplated, as one does, the real meaning of Easter.

"Are you thinking of going to church this year, Mr Mean?" I asked.

"No," he replied.

"Many people will be going there to contemplate the real meaning of Easter," I mused. I might have sounded a tad philosophical and perhaps even religious, even if I was just feeling a tad confused, because a flyer had been sent to Mean Manor recently advertising an event on "Easter Thursday - 5th April!" The day before Good Friday? If Easter Thursday was the day before Good Friday, and Easter Tuesday was after Easter Monday, which was usually placed after Easter (Easter Sunday), per tradition, then where did Easter Wednesday fall? Those were the thoughts flying about Mrs Mean's brain at that moment.

"Easter means money and bunnies!" snapped Mr Mean.

"What about the death and the cross?" I pondered, somewhat surfacing out of the days-of-the-week reverie.

"Money and bunnies, that's how I see it," reiterated Mr Mean.

"I can see you more dead and cross than with money and bunnies," I muttered.

I still haven't figured out where Easter Wednesday goes.

No comments: