Friday, 17 August 2007

Lawsy - Now Should HE say Sorry?

Now listeners are calling on the Old Golden Tonsils, Mr John Laws to say sorry for some "racist" comments he sprayed today.

A caller, Helen, called to tell about her experience driving - and showed she was a bad driver. Lawsy jumped to the conclusion she was Asian - she was right - she was Chinese - and made some comments about her probable height and demeanour when driving, and sneereed at Asians in general as drivers. It elicited a response fro those thinking Lawsy went too far - but others backed him and said he just told the truth.

But actually, does it matter?

I would say that at worst what John Laws did was stupid; he may not care as he's going to retire soon but if I were his producer I'd probably kick him in the butt for what he may do to the station. Maybe Lawsy's just thinking about himself here. There are definitely people who got offended by this, and might punish him with the radio dial.

Did Laws tell the truth? Are Asians the worst drivers on the road? (statistically) That's not the point. It's like pulling out of the hat that a certain race is stupider than others or has more fat people in it or more disabled people in it. If a comment is derogatory, definitely stay away from a racist assumption. That's the problem with what Laws did. He didn't say "I'm giving a news item today - from a survey done, the worst drivers on the road are Asians ..." and then making a comment. What he did was, when a person got on the phone who was bad at driving, he jumped to a conclusion about her race and then sneered further at her, making it clear that if he had heard from a bad driver, he would jump to the conclusion that that person was Asian.
That is like someone saying they had a weight ptoblem, or they are disabled, or they have trouble at school, or they have trouble getting work, and Laws saying "Right, I'll bet you're Greek/French/Aboriginal/Polynesian/German/Italian/Japanese/American Canadian/Croatian" or whatever nationality comes to mind (I'm making it up, I'm pulling it out of a hat here) "all those people are uncontrollable ugly fatties/retards/slow idiots/unemployed slacker bums, I bet you can't walk past a McDonalds too/make funny whistling noises and dance around on public stations/can't get past A in the alphabet even oafter 12 years of kindergarten/play Nintendo all day and bludge off centrelink, I can just see it."
It's insulting. If he wants to make a sweeping statement about nationality, do it from a source, or at least wait til the person confirms herself; don't assume and attack.

Stupido, stupido stupido. Should I make a sweeping statement about just-about-to-retire old caucasian wealthy shock-jocks?

P.S. One commenter, Alex of Sydney asked "Have you ever seen a Chinese formula one driver???" supposedly as some kind of proof that Asians were bad drivers.

I went to a racetrack once. I was talking to an F1 enthusiast, and he told me many of the boys who raced started racing cars and karts on the track as young kids - some raced karts as young as 4 years old! I said "What about a license?"
"You don't need a license to race on a track, you need a license to drive on the road," he explained.

I think I'll take "passed the test, clean record" as a better measure for good driver, thanks.

1 comment:

Mrs Mean said...

Oh, by the way, Lawsy assumes caller Helen's "hunching over the dashboard" - he says this derogatorily.

The only time I've ever been driving with someone who was hunching over the dashboard the whole time - and he was the worst driver I'd ever been driving with ...

He was a Caucasian male, taller than me, older than me, in fact at that age where many said he ought to have stopped working some time ago "but was just holding on to his job"

Sounds like the category Lawsy would fall into.